Special Olympics College Clubs
Are you in? Are you a fan of dignity? Of acceptance? Of the humanity of all people, regardless of ability or disability? If so, it is time you joined our network of college and university students supporting Special Olympics.
Create A Community of Acceptance and Respect on Your Campus
Special Olympics College Clubs functions as an official club on campus and connects college students and individuals with intellectual disabilities through sport to build friendships and help lead the social justice movement of Special Olympics. Special Olympics College Club programs are made up of three core elements: Unified Sports, Youth Leadership, and opportunities for Full Campus Engagement. Together these components can help students work for and with Special Olympics athletes to help transform school campuses into communities of acceptance and respect. Below are examples of how these components can work in your school.
Features of a Special Olympics College Club
- Unified Sports- Start a Unified Sports team comprised of college students and Special Olympics athletes; or host a local or state level inclusive Special Olympics event. Learn more about our partnership with NIRSA and how to start Unified Sports on campus, here.
- Youth Leadership- Special Olympics College Clubs functions as a student-led club that is fully recognized by your school; additionally students should invite local Special Olympics athletes to join their leadership team and help plan events throughout the year.
- Full Campus Engagement- Host an awareness campaign, such as Spread the Word the End the Word®; or invite students to become Fans in the Stands at local Special Olympics games and cheer on the athletes.
Ready to join? Contact the Director of Health and Unified Strategies and check out the College Clubs Starter Guide or the College Club Event Guide for tips and ideas to start a College Club chapter on your campus.
Louisiana's Current College Clubs
- McNeese University
- Louisiana State University
- Tulane University
- Southeastern Louisiana University
- University of Louisiana Lafayette
- Nicholls State University
- Northwestern State University
- Louisiana Tech
- University of Louisiana Monroe